What is Nippers?
Nippers is an activity-based program run to educate young children about surf safety and awareness when visiting a beach. The nipper program also offers participants the opportunity to meet a new set of friends whilst they are being challenged in activities controlled within a learning environment.
The Nipper program is held during the dry season (May to October) on Sunday mornings from 10am to 12pm.
Nippers Registration – Season 2016
Nippers can register throughout the season. Please contact Ellis Beach Surf Life Saving Club at firstname.lastname@example.org
Objectives of the Ellis Beach Junior Activities Committee:
At Ellis Beach Nippers our objective is to provide a safe and fun environment for children aged 5 to 13 years to enjoy the surf safely. Nippers are encouraged to learn about life saving and surf safety in a fun and enjoyable environment with qualified instructors . For those nippers interested, the program also introduces the competitive side of surf life saving with a series of carnivals held throughout the season to promote fellowship, fair play and enjoyment while learning very valuable lifelong water and surf skills.
Our objectives are:
- To provide a safe and fun environment for the children to learn about the beach, its unique qualities and surf activities;
- To teach the children aged 5 to 13 years to enjoy the surf safely;
- Provide the opportunity for children to improve their surf and beach skills;
- To train the children for a series of awards under the auspices of the SLSA of Australia’s Board of Junior Development, which covers:
- Surf awareness
- Surf skills
- First aid
- To encourage those interested, to use their natural skills in competition at a series of carnivals held throughout the season;
- To prepare the children for entry into the senior club at Ellis Beach;
- To promote fellowship, fair play, and enjoyment while learning very valuable lifelong water and surf skills;
- But above all….to have fun.
The week to week activities of each age group are lead by age managers who are endorsed by the Junior Activities Committee (JAC). The primary role of age managers is to educate our junior members about the surf and surf live saving in a friendly, fun and safe environment.
A child must have turned 5 prior to 30 September of the year that they are eligible to join Nippers. Children are registered in the age group according to the age of the child on 30 September. For example, if your child is 11 on 30 September, the child will be in the Under 12’s.
Age Group Categories
|Age Turned By
New to Nippers
Please download the registration form below (for those new to nippers this season) – one registration form per child. For insured nipper parent membership, please download and complete the registration form, along with a Child Protection Form. Please bring these forms with you to our registration days, along with a birth certificate or passport for proof of age of each new child commencing nippers, and photo ID for the parent/s.
Those transferring from other surf clubs or re-registering with the club from previous years do not need to provide any proof of age documents.